Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Formula dilemma

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but I'm really not sure how much Reagan slept last night! The video monitor that I have sitting by my bedside, died last night because the charger wasn't plugged in! I do know that when Ryan woke us up this morning at 6am talking, Reagan was wide awake and kicking around in her bed! I don't know what's going on with these two and waking up so early, but I'm going to have to start getting to bed earlier if this continues. Reagan has been a good girl today. She had OT (with the vision therapist assisting) this morning and then speech and then it was off to the GI doctor. Reagan was a trouper and was so great with all of the chaos.They weighed her and she's down to 37.4lbs (from 35.4 in January). This is a pretty significant weight loss, but somehow she's still right at 50% for her age group (and her BMI is good). The doctor agreed, we don't want her losing another pound, but he was hesitant to admit fault. We were kind of going round and round with our conversation and not really getting anywhere. We've agreed to increase the ratio of the formula slowly (2.5kcal/oz per week) until we get to 30kcal/oz and if we see signs of her not tolerating it (nausea, diarrhea, more bad days, or her labs are off), we'll have to possibly consider giving her more volume at a lower calorie ratio or supplementing calories with something like benecal, or switching formulas altogether. We're obviously seeing marked improvement in her since switching her formula. Less bad days/more good days & no nausea, it's been wonderful. My question is...is this change for the better because of the switch in formula itself, or is it more because of the decrease in caloric intake? I don't know, but I would guess, that it takes less energy to digest a lower calorie formula than one that is higher calorie. I mean, when her tummy is having problems, we switch her over to pedialyte to give it a rest. Have we been inadvertently "resting" her tummy this entire time?? I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Please keep it in your prayers that she tolerates this increase and that we can get her back on track again and keep her from losing any more weight! I want my girl healthy AND happy! Is that too much to ask?!?!

3 comments:

Diane said...

I am with you- hard to say whether it was the in formula or the tummy rest. Besides the weight loss though she has show improvements since changing.. Hopefully she tolerates a more concentrated serving and the question will be answered. I have cheering her on with the oatmeal! and her terrific run on good days!

Abbey said...

Could you try adding the lost calories with oral foods like avocado + coconut oil since she has been doing well with eating PO?


Reagan Leigh said...

It's a thought but just because she's tolerating fruit/oatmeal purées doesn't meant she'll tolerate added fats or protein!!