Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Birthday eve

Our girl slept the whole night through last night and then woke up this morning sweet and smiley. She was still very groggy and she took several naps today, but when she was awake, she was a happy girl. Today was definitely a good day. Tomorrow is Reagan's birthday. Five years ago our girl was born at 12:14pm on a Wednesday. I was still working and went in half a day on Tuesday and then went to my doctors appt. I was still only 1cm dilated, since my due date was Saturday the 24th, my doctor gave me a "rough exam" to try to move things along. My blood pressure was a bit high during my appt, so they made me go over to the hospital for monitoring. They put me in a room and hooked me up to the monitors, but my blood pressure was back to normal. Mike met me up there but they sent us home and we finally got to bed around midnight that night. At 3am I got up to go to the bathroom and as I was headed back to bed, my water broke! We called the doctor's office and then took our time and got to the hospital around 6am that morning. Since my water had already broken, they started me on pitocin around 6:30am. I was still only 1cm dilated and couldn't feel any contractions, but the pitocin worked quickly and before I knew it they contractions were coming so quickly I felt like I couldn't even catch my breath! It had only been a couple hours since starting the pitocin, so they were hesitant to even check me, but when they did I was already 4cm and they said I could go ahead and get my epidural. I'm not a fan of needles, but I don't even remember anything about the epidural, I guess because I was so ready to be done with the contractions! After that, it was smooth sailing. My mom, Mike, and my friend Kristen were all there...but not my doctor. Apparently Wed was her day off! Instead we had a horribly mean on call doctor that was in a hurry and even yelled at Mike! I don't remember any problems although my mom mentioned just recently that she was having decelerations in her heartrate before she came out. That would make sense because when she finally got out, she had the cord wrapped around her neck and was blue and not crying. She had fluid in her lungs and they were suctioning it out but they were obviously still having issues so they took her away and then brought her back later. All of that is still a bit fuzzy for me...I guess because they were still working on me. By the time they finished, Reagan was already back in the room. Her head was a little cone shaped, one of her feet was completely bent out of shape and her nose was crooked because of her position in the womb, and her eyes were bloodshot from coming out so quickly...but she was precious and we were in love. She even slept well for the first week or so...oh how that changed!!! At least she's sleeping tonight! Praying for another good day for our girl tomorrow (and that she holds out til her birthday party on Sunday)!!



2 comments:

charity said...

happy 5th birthday reagan

Muriel Flores (Jaslynn's mom) said...

Happy Birthday Reagan! Hope this year is filled with health and sleepful nights!
Muriel