Thursday, March 24, 2011

Beyond scary

Last night was the worst night of our lives! Let me elaborate. Reagan woke up at 1 pm and started fussing. I tried to soothe her but it wasn't working. So I decided to give her another dose of the methadone (it was written for every 6 hours and it had already been 7 hours since her first dose). She fell back to sleep only a few minutes later. I laid back down in bed and tried to go to sleep. A few minutes later I heard her making a weird whining sound. I thought she was starting to fuss again and I almost didn't get up, but it was an unusual noise so I thought I'd check it out. I'm glad I did. It wasn't fussing, it was a weird noise she was making while she was breathing. And then the breathing stopped! Mike heard me say she wasn't breathing and he ran in the room and pulled her out of bed and onto the floor. She was totally unresponsive and turning grey. He told me to go call 911. I got the phone and started dialing, I came back into the room and we started CPR. I did chest compressions while Mike did the breaths. It took 3 rounds of 30-2 to get her breathing again (thank God we took that CPR class two weekends ago). Once she was breathing (albeit very shallow breaths), I ran and got the pulse ox and put that on her and then put the nasal cannula on her with some O2. by the time we did all of that (maybe 5 min), the EMTs were knocking at the door. They loaded her up in the ambulance and I rode with her while Mike drove behind us. I made them take us to Memorial Hermann Children's Hospital because that's where the mito kids go. It was our first time to this ER, usually we go to Texas Children's. We spent some time in the ER. Reagan was stable but still not breathing well. They gave her some breathing treatments thinking maybe her airway was constricted. It helped little, if any. She was still really out of it and hadn't really opened her eyes yet. Apparently they were still concerned and they put her on high flow O2 and moved her to the PICU. I heard someone say something about an overdose and immediately I told them that she wasnt overdosed and she had just gotten what she was prescribed. Shortly after getting in there they gave her something called Narcan. Within seconds it reversed the effects of the methodone. Reagan's eyes popped open and she was alert and awake! Of course with awake came unhappy. Very unhappy. She was crying and holding her breath. Definitely stressful. Up until this point no one was really talking to us about why they thought this happened (in retrospect I wonder when they figured it out...obviously right around the time they decided to transfer us to the ICU). Then this afternoon the special needs pediatrician came by. I asked him what he thought happened...whether he thought it was an allergic reaction or an over response to this new medication. He told me he knew exactly what it was. The real reason Reagan had stopped breathing was that he messed up on her dosage! He calculated her dosage using pounds rather than kilograms, meaning he gave her 3x the dosage he meant to give her. He literally almost killed her with that mistake! So scary. It makes you think twice about trusting what is written on your medication bottle. We spoke with him about "maybe" giving the methodone another try at the correct dose tomorrow after all of it clears from her system (and while she's still under observation). Then out of no where they came by and gave her another dose. That's when she really started holding her breath and scaring the you know what out of us. We literally had to blow on her to get her to breath again. I could have killed those people for giving that to her again!! So that's it for methadone. We're done with that one. So here we sit. Still in the PICU because they never got an open bed on a normal floor. They wanted to keep her overnight for observation. Hopefully we'll be headed home tomorrow. No more drama please! I don't think this mommy can take it!! Please keep our little one in your prayers!!

13 comments:

Makenzies Miracle said...

I am so very sorry that happened and so glad little miss is doing better! Praying for better days!!!

Tons of hugs and prayers!

Jackson's Blog said...

Tera...I have been so worried! Praying for Reagan. So scary...and that doctor!!! Writing 3 times the amount?!?

Emma said...

oh no sounds scary indeed. Praying for better times for Reagan and wisdom for the doctors.

Love,
E x

Jamie said...

OMG!! This is terrible I cannot imagine. SO much with my madie is "try this" "try that" and no one ever knows! All I can say is sending hugs and love your way..:( I am really blown away by the doctors mistake..just jaw dropping...

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh! I cannot imagine the terror you must've been through. Prayers for you and Reagan!

Sarah said...

Just wow. I'm so glad she's okay and that you guys took that CPR class too. We are always praying for your sweet girl. We're sending you ALL big hugs. That is just too much.

Clarissa said...

praying!!! that would be horrible! so scary!

Kristy said...

All I can say is I love you guys and I am so sorry you had to go through that and I am so glad that you both took that class! Thank God she is alright!

jocalyn said...

gi don't even know what to say. i read this post with my mouth on the floor.

thank God you are such a good, attentive mother. and thank God you guys just took that cpr class.

oh.my.goodness.

you're in my prayers, and i will be checking back for updates!

Marc said...

So sorry to hear that you all went through that - very traumatic indeed. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Shonda said...

Tera, I cannot believe this happened. Thank goodness for the CPR class, and NARCAN! 3x the dose!?!? Then they come around and give it to her again, REALLY??? UNBELIEVABLE!!! HUG that sweet girl for me, and I hope you guys get back home soon.

You are an AWESOME mom Tera.

Jenny said...

i have bene reading your blog for a long time and i guess i never realized how attached to reagan i have become. god really does work in mysterious ways putting all the pieces together to leave the cpr class so fresh in your mind. amazing, continue what you do

Jamie - AZ said...

My heart breaks to hear of this!! SO sorry you guys had to go through this!! What a blessing you took CPR. Wow I just can't believe this. If you have any questions about it in the future Jon is more than happy to talk to you guys. Love and hugs to all. Saying many many prayers for you. I will call tomorrow.