Thursday, October 29, 2009

New casts and super busy day

Reagan decided to give me a little grief this morning, waking up at 5am fussing. She didn't really want to go back to sleep and it was 6:45ish before I got her back down again. I took a quick 15min "nap" and then got up for the day. We had an early appt with casting first thing this morning at Texas Children's. This time around she's got permanent plaster casts wrapped in a soft cast. The plan is we'll take them off just before aquatic therapy next Tuesday assuming there are no issues before then. They are super heavy and no fun at all to deal's going to be a long 6 weeks. She was very cooperative for the casting, which was such a relief, because she was not in the best of moods on our drive there. Then we headed down to the pathology lab where they finally had the orders waiting for us. Unfortunately our favorite phlebotomist was out on the floor of the hospital so we had to wait another 45min or so for her to finish up. She was excited to see Reagan and did a great job collecting her blood...not a tear shed. No word on any results from that, hopefully they'll get back to me before the weekend. Then we rushed home for 30min, I fed Reagan, and then we jumped back in the car to go to feeding therapy. Reagan was so funny. Her therapist gave her a bite of some lemon ice and you should have seen the look on her was as if she had bitten straight into a lemon! It was too funny! It must have been the initial shock of the cold and the tart because she took a few more bites of it and it didn't seem to bother her anymore. After feeding therapy we went by our friend's dental office so he could take a look at Reagan's teeth to give us his opinion on what should be done. He said that there's not much we can do as far as preventative maintenance, just try to brush her teeth regularly and rinse her mouth out after bottles. Her teeth show signs of defective enamel due to the seizure medications and that is probably the main reason for the early decay (that and the high carbohydrate intake). He agrees with the plan to cap the bad teeth...he said it's just easier with these cavity filled baby teeth to just cap them and then not have to worry about any other complications in the future. He said he thinks all 4 1st molars need caps and maybe all 4 2nd molars as well...which is crazy because 2 of her 2nd molars aren't even halfway errupted. He said the issue is really with the need to sedate (or anesthetize) her. You don't want to do it now and only fix a few teeth only to find out they have to go back in 6months or less from now. It's best to do everything all at once. I just can't imagine her having to have that many caps put in...much less all at one time! Supposedly it shouldn't cause any pain and she should be able to eat regularly afterwards, but that does worry me a little (or a lot). Today she seemed a little easier to feed. I didn't necessarily get any more fluids in her, but when she did drink, it was less of a fight. Hopefully this will continue and we'll be able to get her numbers up as well. Reagan has been very reluctant to sleep all day, you can tell she's exhausted but when she falls asleep, she can't stay asleep. I sure hope it's not the casts. Please continue to keep her in your prayers.

No comments: