Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Too deep of sleep (save it for bedtime)

Today has been a strange day for Reagan. She had an alright night last night, she finally fell asleep around 11 (of course we didn't get to bed til midnight) and she woke at 5:30am. I would have preferred her to sleep in a little longer, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. We didn't have too much going on, she had Feldenkrais at 1:30 and then we came home for an OT evaluation by ECI. The nice thing about ECI is they see them in the home, so we wouldn't be running around for extra OT visits. The bad thing is, the therapist doesn't even come close to comparing to the other OT she sees twice a month (who is no longer covered by insurance). I know, I've only just met her, but it's apparent. And I don't like the way she said that we shouldn't even set goals for Reagan to actually grab toys...insinuating that may never happen. I don't like that. I guess we'll try a few sessions with her (next month) and decide if we want to continue with her at all. So far I am very unimpressed with the ECI services in this area. They are just so slow to get the ball rolling. I still haven't even heard a word from a vision therapist! Nothing. Don't get me started. Anyway, Reagan only took one small 30min nap today during her Feldenkrais lesson, and then around 6pm she konked out. I mean, she was out cold. I sat her down on the recliner to go and get something from the other room and when I came back, she was asleep. And she slept there for 5hrs! She probably would have slept all night but I started panicking around 3.5hrs and tried everything to wake her up. It took me another 1.5hr to finally get her awake. I'm not sure what that was all about...but it did scare me a little. She's wide awake now and it's midnight...fun, fun. We started a new medication today, Zegerid for her acid reflux. It's basically prilosec combined with an antacid. Another parent recommended it to us and since the Nexium wasn't helping her, so I asked her doctor if we could give it a try. Unfortunately, I didn't know much about it. It comes as a powder that you dissolve in water and it's not the best tasting. Probably similar to alka-seltzer. I think this is probably perfect for kiddos with G-tubes, but not so much for Reagan. Anything you have to shoot into Reagan's mouth by syringe is never a good thing. This morning's dose was nearly impossible to get down her with her gagging and choking almost nonstop. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown trying to get her to take it all! Then tonight, I cheated and gave it to her while she was sleeping. She never even cracked her eyes. I want to see if it helps her, so I'm going to do my best to get her to take it for at least a week or so. It will definitely be a challenge! It sure would be nice though to finally find something to control this pesky reflux!

5 comments:

Rhea said...

OK - I don't like the fact that the OT doesn't set goals for Reagan. Of course she will pick up toys. Try not to be frustrated. Love the picture of Reagan sleeping - so sweet!!!

Jamie said...

OMG sounds like the Genetic Wacko we saw..telling me to just focus on the cognitive things with madie and not to worry so much about her ever walking...what a jerk! HOPE is what keeps us mamas going and take that away and we got nothin!
One day at a time I say.
(((hugs))

Jackson's Blog said...

Wow...I thought Fort Bend was better than your last area! Ya...I don't know if I would want her for my child's OT either. I bet Grandma is not too far of her too! ;-) What about private OT services at home? Hopefully you ended up getting some rest last night!

Jackson's Blog said...

I meant "fond" of her...sorry! ;-)

Heather said...

Dump the OT ..sorry but there is no time in anyone's schedule for someone who is not positive and encouraging and looking forward to the future with hope and GOALS.Come on.What kind of therapists begins without setting goals.Your too sweet Tera,I wouldn't give another chance but that is just me.I can't believe how much she slept .. she needs to pull that stuff at night,little stinker.Love and prayers to you and by the way .. I love that chair.It looks so comfy.I probably would have fallen asleep in it too!!!