Monday, August 17, 2009

A week of Feldenkrais/ABM

Reagan slept well again last night. I guess she likes keeping us on our toes with this every other night thing. Last night she woke once crying, I picked her up and put her in our bed and she fell back asleep til 8am! Very nice. She also woke in a great mood again. I guess a good night's sleep makes her just as happy as it does us. She was very talkative and smiley all morning. We went in this morning for a session of Feldenkrais/Anat Baniel Method. It's been a while since Reagan's last session (with the move and all she's doing very few therapies), then out of the blue I got an email a couple weeks ago from the practitioner telling me that she thought Reagan might get more out of the sessions if we did multiple sessions back to back. Since this is all out of pocket that scared me a little, but as I read on I realized she wanted to do the sessions free of charge! What? I was amazed. She just finished some advanced training in California with Anat Baniel herself and she said that the best way for her to progress in this new method is to practice what she's learned. Initially she mentioned doing a 5 day block of sessions with Reagan (one 45min session per day), but now it's sounding like she might be willing to work with Reagan on a more regular basis without cost to us. Talk about a blessing. I really like the idea of trying something new. Reagan has been receiving standard therapies for almost two years now and she hasn't made any real progress whatsoever. That's really what peaked my interest this new type of therapy to begin with. It would sure be great if we could find something that works for her (even if she continues to have seizures). I hope to see some progress...any progress! It's crazy to think that Reagan still doesn't even roll (not to mention sit, crawl, stand, walk, and talk). So today was the first day of our 5-day block. Reagan was great for the session! Super cooperative and happy the entire time. I'm hoping she'll keep this up the rest of the week. This afternoon she wasn't as happy, but she was also never really took a decent nap today. Hopefully that won't affect tonight's sleep in a negative way. By the way...today is my sister's 24th birthday! Happy birthday Amber!

5 comments:

Rhea said...

That is great news! I will pray that this will help Reagan. God is good!

Jamie said...

GREAT STUFF! Sounds as if sleep situation is getting "better" Oh I keep the prayers going! Just wait till she masters that roll! Madie rolled into anything hard! HA
:) Hang in there!

blogzilly said...

Great when any therapist decides to help you out that way. Way to go! And good you had a restful night. We were up three times, ugh. I hate med changes! They always screw him up.

Heather said...

Hello my friend ... just talked to you but thought I'd leave a comment as well.Sorry for your scare this morning.Thankfully it all worked out.Nice to have this new angel for therapy and so nice to find someone so eager to help out.The no cost thing is such a blessing.Even I know Reagan likes the every other night sleep mode of operation!Hoping at the very least that that continues.Talk to you soon.will get you those new neuro's names as soon as I can.Have a great day.

feldypt said...

Good luck to you. I found your post and had to comment since I am a PT and a Feldenkrais practitioner. It was through observing Feldenkrais work with children who have challenges that sold me on this work. The work is about learning and supporting the conditions for learning. As humans we crave to learn and this work is respectful and supportive to this necessity in life. The ABM work is an off shoot of the Feldenkrais work and through Anat Baniel (the creator) she has helped many access the wide applications to this work. Please refer to www.feldenkrais.com for more information. Best to you,
Stacy Barrows, PT, GCFP, CPI