Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stroller needed

Today was another good day for Miss Reagan. She slept well last night and has been super sweet all day. We went over to the new house again and she couldn't have been better. I didn't get much done, other than changing all the knobs on our kitchen cabinets (48 of them). It's really coming together...I think it looks loads better than when we first bought it. Our paint job from yesterday looks great and the kitchen looks like a kitchen now that all the appliances are in place. Unfortunately the contractors still haven't finished up on the living room. All the dry wall is up and taped and floated, but no texture or paint yet. A few more days I guess. Other than house stuff, not too much going on here. I am getting a little nervous about Reagan's cataract surgery scheduled for Tuesday. Mike is going to be busy at work and can't go, which makes me even more nervous because he always has been able to take off for surgery, but my mom will come along with us so that's good. We've been testing out a couple special needs strollers and let me tell you, I am not impressed. The ones we have right now are Special Tomato brand. The buggy stroller is almost too small for Reagan right now. The shoulder straps are at their longest and there's not really any extra support when you compare it to regular umbrella strollers (the only difference is the $255 price tag). The other one is the EIO push chair. It has a little more support with lateral inserts you can use on the side and around the head. You can also use the seat liners for added support (they are too big to use in the buggy stroller). This is more of an all-terrain stroller ($455), which would be nice for getting around the neighborhood for walks, but I think it's just too big to cart around to doctors appts and grocery stores. I'm frustrated. I really wanted something light-weight but still supportive, so I could get out and do things more easily with Reagan. I'm not sure what to do at this point. The only other special needs stroller that is even an option is the Maclaren Major, but I really think it's almost identical to the regular Maclaren strollers, just hundreds more expensive. It makes me so mad that these companies call these items special needs and then jack up the prices to ridiculous heights. It's insane! I guess they just assume insurance will be footing the bill so they can charge anything?!?! It makes me sick. I think I might run by Babies R Us tomorrow and try Reagan in a few of the regular umbrella strollers. As long as it has a harness and reclines, I think it will work for her. We'll see.







4 comments:

jocalyn said...

Hey! Have you tried the KidKart? That's what we have and I love it. It fits in the small trunk of my car easily and is easy to take apart from the base. They've made a lot of changes in the past few years. We're happy with it! Oh, and our insurance and medicaid through MDCP paid for it 100%.

Shonda said...

It made me mad when I read how much those strollers cost. Thats just WRONG!!! I hope you find one thats a good fit soon.I am glad the new house is coming together. Oh, and by the way I love the butterfly pj's.

Lacey said...

that last stoller pic looks like a good one. We just got a nice one. But insurance did cover it, its more like a wheelchair, but made like a stroller for little kids. It would be around 3000 dollars if insurance didn't cover it. Ridiculous I know. Its called the Kimba

Holly said...

We are still using the special tomato soft seat insert in a maclaren umbrella stroller that we bought at babies r us. It gives Caleigh support with it still being light weight and small. We paid though.

I've seen Kendall stylin her kidcart and it is nice. So if you want insurance/medicaid to pay I would go that way.