Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of HBOT

Reagan was up a lot last night, just waking up fussing here and there (making it hard to get any good quality sleep), hopefully she was just adjusting to her new surroundings and she'll be better tonight. I guess it's understandable considering the rough day she had yesterday. She had a lot of seizures this morning, probably more than she's had in months (bigger clusters and just more in general). I guess we'll hold out and keep her on this dose a few more days...but we better begin to see some improvement or we're going back down to the 750mg dose that she seemed to do better at. She's sure been wonderful today though...super talkative and sweet. Thank you God. Our first HBOT session went off without a hitch. They want you to wear 100% cotton in the chamber and no metal anything (you don't need anything causing any kind of static in a chamber filled with 100% oxygen), so I wore some scrubs they gave me and Reagan went down to her diaper. The inital compression phase (which lasts about 5min) really bothered my ears and I had to constantly try to pop them (although Reagan didn't seem to notice it one bit). Once it got to the proper pressure it was smooth sailing and I layed there with her and fed her a bottle as Baby Einstein played on the TV above. She must like that angle because she really seemed to be watching it, which was great...almost like a 1hr vision therapy...usually she doesn't even notice the TV. They started her out at 1.25atm pressure and eventually they'll work up to 1.5atm. We stayed at this pressure for a full 60min and then it decompresses at the end for about 3min. This was almost worse than the initial phase, it seemed to go faster and bother my ears even more (again Reagan was oblivious). So that's it. We're done for the day. She was great!! She was out as soon as we put her in the car! She must be pooped because she's been sleeping for quite a while now. Mike headed back to Houston today, someone has to work in this family, but he'll be coming back on Friday again. Although he can drive me crazy sometimes (we really know how to push each other's buttons), I'm sure going to miss him! And so will Reagan. Please continue to keep her in your prayers!! We're expecting miracles for this little one!!




5 comments:

Dawson said...

So glad the treatment went off without a hitch!! Hang in there, you guys are doing great!

sara said...

I pray that this helps Reagan! You guys look great! That chamber looks nice and roomy. The one Gregory and I were in was smaller. That was the protocol Gregory had as well. He did ok with the pressure. Sometimes it took us awhile to get to pressure bc we had to stop and wait for Gregory's ears. I had a little discomfort and I used Similasen (I think that was the name). It is a homeopathic ear drop you can get at the pharmacy and it really helped me. There is also something else called ear planes you can use. We didn't try them but they offered them to us. Good luck and best wishes for smooth hbot sessions and lots of improvements for Reagan.

Heather said...

I know this sounds strange but.... you two look cute in there.I don't know why, it made me smile.I am so sorry about the seizure increase.Frustrating to say the least.Let's just pray it's adjustment issues.Maybe the combo of treatments will yield improvement.I got your message and I am going to track down the info tonight. I may not email you until tomorrow.Kiss that baby for me.What a trooper.

teresa said...

She sure is growing. I am glad things went well. She looks sweet snuggled so close to you. I pray continually for her and the family. Teresa

Stacey said...

Good luck with the treatment!! I really hope it helps. Thank goodness you are not claustrophobic...it looks a little tight in there.

So glad that you have family around you in Austin, and can go through this with their support too. Hang in there!!