Saturday, June 21, 2008

15 months

Reagan is 15 months old today. And it's getting harder the older she gets. It's the most common question people ask when you're out in public (whether your child is "typical" or not). "How old is she?"...several people asked me yesterday and I told them. I know at times they are taken aback at my answer, but I'm not at a point where I feel comfortable enough to go into detail (I've even considered lying). Usually people just assume that she's tired/asleep and that's why I'm carrying her around. Whatever. It's so bad that I often hesitate to answer, as if they are asking something that's rude and none of their business. But they don't know any better. They have NO idea what this precious little girl has been through in these first 15 months. She looks "normal" and "healthy" but it's frightening what these seizure disorders do to our little ones. We're still prayerful that something (hopefully the ketogenic diet) is going to stop Reagan's seizures and allow her to take off developmentally. I've had dreams where she's walking around like any toddler getting into everything within arms reach...how wonderful would that be!?!?! I want that for her. I want that for us. And I have to believe that God wants that as well. Please keep her in your prayers!

6 comments:

Heather said...

I want all of that and more for you, Mike and especially Reagan. Keeping your faith close and turning to it during the moments of doubt, will carry you. Although it can't make everything better, all of the time.Sometimes it is the look or often the comment from complete strangers that snap us back to our reality. We have become "use to" our definition of "normal" and we can forget,for a second, that our journey is so vastly different then others.As the Welcome to Holland poem reads, we have to grieve, it is part of the process but at the same time your dreams are necessary, for they speak to the HOPE we hold for the future.

Anonymous said...

Tera,
You are doing a great job with Reagan and we love you all so much. I would rather be special than normal any day and you are very special to me.
Love,
Dad

Brooke DeMar said...

Happy Birthday!!

Julie said...

What a wonderful site you have created for your beautiful daughter Reagan.... we all send very best wishes and good luck with your keto journey from Matthew's Friends in the UK, many of whom are on the same journey.

MOM said...

How Very Blessed we are!!! We have not just our own family...but we are part of a huge family that spans the globe. Thank God for all the prayers, support, and encouraging words from everyone. We are very proud and humbled to be part of your family.

Happy Birthday to my sweet baby Reagan! I love you.....the Grandma

Lesley said...

What a really nice site--people always thought my daughter was tired too--after a while i just let it be , too :)